are in Italics
Fish & Wildlife Mgmt.
Model Design & Building
Pulp and Paper
Reptile & Amphibian Study
Small Boat Sailing
Soil & Water
| Water Skiing
- Show that you know first aid for injuries or illnesses that could occur while
waterskiing, including hypothermia, heatstroke, heat exhaustion, dehydration, sunburn,
insect stings, tick bites, blisters, and hyperventilation.
- Do the following:
- Identify the conditions that must exist before performing CPR on a person. Explain how
such conditions are recognized.
- Demonstrate proper technique for performing CPR using a training device approved by
- Before doing the following requirements, successfully complete the BSA swimmer test.
Jump feetfirst into water over your head in depth. Level off and swim 75 yards in a strong
manner, using one or more of the following strokes: sidestroke, breaststroke,
crawl; then swim 25 yards using an easy resting backstroke. The 100 yards must be
completed in one swim without stops and must include at least one sharp turn. After
completing the swim, rest by floating.
- Know the Water-Skier's Safety Code. Promise that you will live up to it. Follow it in
all water work for this badge. Know the safety precautions that must be used by the boat
operator in pulling skiers.
- Show the following water-skier signals to safety observer in boat: in gear, start,
faster, slower, speed required, speed OK, turns, stop, back to dock, cut motor, skier in
water. Help others to ski by acting as the safety observer in the boat.
- In deep water, show you can adjust binders to fit, put on skis, and recover skis that
have come off during a fall.
- Make a deep-water start on two skis without help.
- Show you can fall properly to avoid an obstacle. Also, show that you can drop handle and
coast to a stop without loss of balance.
- Show you can cross both wakes and return to center of wake without falling. Repeat three
- On two skis, jump off the wake. Lift both skis clear of the water.
- During a demonstration run, lift one ski clear of the water for 2 seconds. Then do the
same with the other ski. Show that you are steady and comfortable on skis at all times.
- Ski on one ski for 30 seconds. Show reasonable control.